Filtering mobile phase solutions and solvents using the correct filtration device is an economical way to reduce instrument downtime, maintenance and associated costs.
Mobile phase filtration will both degas and remove unwanted particulate.
Frequent mobile phase degassing reduces erratic pump delivery of the solvent due to pressure fluctuations, and hence reduces detector noise.
Degassing removes dissolved oxygen that can result in oxidative degradation of the sample and mobile phases, which reduces the sensitivity and operating stability of ultraviolet, refractive index, electrochemical and fluorescence detectors.
By filtering the mobile phase, analysts can reduce contamination that can cause the plugging of the sinker and column frits, shortening column life. Particulate contamination may also damage pump valves and block capillaries.
Filtration of mobile phases using a 0.2 μm filter will also prevent microbial growth that can cause increased baseline noise.
Reliable and Accurate Membrane Technology
The primary concern when choosing a solvent filter is solvent compatibility with the filter material. Pall offers several filters to accommodate the various types of HPLC solvents. Pall’s wwPTFE membrane that is chemically compatible with the majority of common mobile phase solutions and solvents, thus eliminating confusion with filter selection. Our membrane filter discs are available in a range of sizes from 25 to 90 mm in diameter and in a 0.2 or 0.45 μm membrane pore size.
- Accurate pore size ratings for better chromatography, and instrument and column protection
- Uniform membrane materials (lot-to-lot) for consistent analytical results
- Membranes are identical in composition and quality to those used in Pall’s HPLC-certified Acrodisc syringe filters
- HPLC certification assures that the filters will not add artifacts to your analysis
Mobile Phase Filtration made Simple - The SolVac filter holder
The unique SolVac filter holder simplifies the clean-up and degassing of mobile phase solvents and other solutions. Featuring a versatile design that fits most HPLC bottles, flasks and containers, the SolVac filter holder eliminates added steps of washing flasks and transferring mobile phase solvents from flask to reservoir.
The SolVac easily permits the filtration of up to 4 liters of mobile phase solvent at once without the need to continuously refill a filter funnel. Solvent is drawn directly from the HPLC solvent bottle eliminating the likelihood of spilling aggressive solvents compared to glass funnels or disposable cup systems.
- Versatile design fits most HPLC bottles, flasks, and containers, and eliminates the added steps of washing flasks and transferring mobile phase solvent from flask to reservoir
- Draws directly from HPLC solvent bottle. Less likely to spill aggressive solvents than glass funnels or disposable cups
- Patented magnetic seal is reliable and leak proof. Eliminates the possibility of membrane shifting or tearing which can occur with aluminum clamps or threaded holders
- Reusable, chemically resistant polypropylene construction is resistant to common HPLC mobile phase solvents such as methanol, acetonitrile, and tetrahydrofuran
How To Use
Place base on the receiving vessel with gasket seal seated on the rim of the vessel. Attach vacuum tubing from vacuum source to the vacuum port adaptor located on the side of the housing base Place the membrane on the clean, dry filter support.
Attach inlet feedline tubing to the tapered inlet on the upper housing. Place upper housing onto housing base to securely seal the membrane. Place feedline tubing into solvent to be filtered.
Apply vacuum while firmly holding the SolVac filter housing until full vacuum is drawn. When the required vacuum is achieved and the system is “charged,” open the thumb clamp to start the filtration. Continue to filter until all of the solvent is drawn through or the receiving vessel is full.