The Proven Performance of Our Sterile Membrane Filters
Microbial and Particulate-Free Design
Filtration is used to remove particulate and contamination from fluids. Filtering through a 0.2 µm pore size is considered necessary to generate a sterile filtrate. Solutions for filtration can range in volume from just a few milliliters to many liters. Typical fluids may include media with or without serum, buffers, biologic or proteinaceous samples, reagents or other fluids that needs to be free of particulate or microbial contamination.
A filter recognized as suitable for producing sterile filtrate is 0.2 µm pore size and capable of passing a bacterial challenge to retain a minimum of 107 cfu/cm² of B. dimunita. It should be noted that some samples may benefit from 0.1 µm pore size filtration, see Mycoplasma Removal, to ensure a sterile filtrate for sensitive cell culture applications. Sterile filtration is used for many applications:
- Media with or without serum to support the growth of cell culture
- Other reagents or solutions with sensitive components that may degrade when exposed to autoclave temperatures
- No access to an autoclave
- Filtering supplements for addition to sterile growth media
- Filtering samples to prevent microbial growth during storage
- Filtering buffers to remove particulate and prevent microbial growth during storage
- Filtering a biologic sample for analytical analysis to protect the expensive instrument from microbial contamination.
- Filtering environmental samples for analysis
- Filtering post-fermentation broths for further purification or analysis
Although sterile filtration is accepted to be 0.2 µm pore size, our comprehensive, sterile filter product range includes larger pore sizes that may be used on samples that would be harmed if contaminated by microbes during use of a non-sterile device.
Our Sterile Membrane Filtration Solution
We offer a range of sterile filtration products to meet different volume sizes for applications. Our products range from membranes, syringe filters, vacuum devices to larger capsules.
Our AcroPak capsule products range in size from 20 cm2 to 1500 cm2 effective filtration area (EFA). Three membranes choices are available in configurations that scale up to products for pilot and full-scale production.
AcroPak Products with Supor® Membrane - Quickly process difficult-to-filter solutions such as serum, serum supplemented culture media, and viscous or particulate-laden solutions. Supor membrane offers high flow rates and consistently higher total solution throughputs due to higher porosity than most other membranes. It is ideal in situations where rapid filtration or short processing times are essential or where low protein binding is required.