The Importance of Clean Hydraulic Fluid is Essential
Hydraulic System Filtration
Controling of particulate contamination in hydraulic fluids is essential, as clean hydraulic fluid is the most important part of any fluid power system. That’s why effective hydraulic fluid filtration is essential. Particle contamination can reduce efficiency and potentially destroy equipment, which is why companies invest in filtration systems to maintain the required cleanliness for hydraulic fluids.
The Primary Functions of Hydraulic Filters Are:
- to protect the system components from damaging critical clearance sized particles, i.e. particles that can penetrate and interfere with the working clearances of components
- to control the level of cleanliness to a level that is required to attain the required performance, life and reliability of the system
- to allow fluid to pass through at the given flow with the minimum pressure drop (ΔP)
In the hydraulic fluid filtration process, a filter must control the levels of all contaminant particles at and above the size critical to the operating system. If the filter fails to provide the necessary control of damaging sized particles in the system, it will lead to a substantial increase in the number of particles generated within the system. Particles entering component working clearances will become work-hardened and produce more wear particles through a ‘chain reaction of wear’. This makes it essential for the filter to capture these particles to sustain the “good health” of the system.
Filtration is a crucial part of reliability programs, and high-performance filtration technology is now specified in most hydraulic applications. High-performance, long-life filters that maintain consistent performance throughout service life help industrial manufacturing operations maintain optimal fluid cleanliness to ensure consistent operational efficiency and reduced costs.
To prevent a system failure caused by particulate contaminants making their way into the highly-sensitive components of a hydraulic system, in-line and off-line filtration systems incorporating high-efficiency filter technology are employed to consistently maintain the fluid cleanliness level required to ensure that system components are protected. This results in improved system reliability, reduced unscheduled downtime and maintenance costs, and helps ensure product quality for dramatically improved business performance and operational savings.
Athalon™ Filter Housings and Elements
For your most critical hydraulic fluid filtration applications, Pall offers a full range of Athalon filter housings and elements. Delivering the Ultimate in Filter Performance, Pall’s Athalon hydraulic and lube filters combine an industry-leading ßx (c)≥2000 (ISO 16889) particle removal rating, stress-resistant filter technology in an anti-static design to provide the greatest overall filter performance and value available in the industry today.
A selection of interchangeable mechanical and electrical differential pressure indicators is available to help signal imminent filter blockage.
- Laid Over Pleat (LOP) Filter Media Geometry-Maximized filtration area, increased flow handling capability and reduces filter element size.
- Stress-Resistant Filter Medium - Improved fluid cleanliness consistency and improved performance in ‘real world’ conditions.
- Anti-Static Construction - Minimized static charge generation, prevents damage to filter element, housing, or fluid due to static discharge.
- Coreless/Cageless Construction - Makes our elements up to 60% lighter than comparable filter elements with cores.
- Simple to Install and Inexpensive to Maintain - Common port and mounting interfaces and cover servicing makes maintenance quick and easy to perform with the minimum of basic tools.